by Tim Wallace
Just because a feel like it, here is a preview of tomorrow’s final post in this series: Easy Hybrid Races – Part 7: Mechanoids, Monstrous Humanoids, and Plants.
Mechanoids are artificially created beings. Most are anthropoid (having a head, two arms, and two legs) in appearance, but some show more peculiar features. Like base race mechanoids, mechanoid hybrid races are unlikely to be the result of a mechanoid breeding with another race (though your GM may allow for that), but far more likely built to find haven in or infiltrate the cultures of other races. If a mechanoid hybrid is crossed with any type other than humanoid, it counts as both a construct and the new type rather than a construct and a humanoid (see the constructed trait below). Mechanoids cannot take the half-construct special subtype.
Mechanoids (standard ability scores: +2 Dexterity, +2 Intelligence, –2 Charisma)
Essential Traits (9 RP)
- Humanoid (mechanoid)
- Medium: Mechanoids are Medium creatures and have no bonuses or penalties due to their size.
- Normal Speed: Mechanoids have a base speed of 30 feet.
- Constructed (10 RP): For the purposes of effects targeting creatures by type (such as a ranger's favored enemy and bane weapons), mechanoids count as both humanoids and constructs. Mechanoids gain a +4 racial bonus on all saving throws against mind-affecting effects, paralysis, poison, and stun effects, are not subject to fatigue or exhaustion, and are immune to disease and sleep effects. Androids can never gain morale bonuses, and are immune to fear effects and all emotion-based effects.
- Emotionless (–1 RP): Mechanoids have problems processing emotions properly, and thus take a –4 penalty on Sense Motive checks.
- Languages: Mechanoids begin play speaking Common. Mechanoids with high Intelligence scores can choose from the following: Draconic, Dwarven, Elven, Giant, Gnome, Goblin, and Halfling.
- Darkvision (2 RP): Mechanoids can see in the dark up to 60 feet.
- Low-Light Vision (1 RP): Mechanoids can see twice as far as humans in conditions of dim light.
- Keen Senses (2 RP): Mechanoids gain a +2 racial bonus on Perception checks.
- Linguist (1 RP): Mechanoids begin play speaking Common. Mechanoids with high Intelligence scores can choose any languages they want (except secret languages, such as Druidic). This replaces a mechanoid’s normal languages.
- Nanite Surge (3 RP): A mechanoid’s body is infused with nanites. Once per day as an immediate action, a mechanoid can cause her nanites to surge, granting a bonus equal to 3 + the mechanoid’s character level on any one d20 roll; this ability must be activated before the roll is made. When a mechanoid uses this power, her circuitry-tattoos glow with light equivalent to that of a torch in illumination for 1 round.
- Weapon Familiarity (1 RP): A mechanoid can choose up to two weapons. It is automatically proficient those weapons.
- Racial Chameleon (1 RP): Hybrid mechanoids gain a +4 racial bonus on Disguise checks to appear as a normal member of their secondary base race.
Be sure to come back tomorrow for all the other races!