by Tim Wallace and Adam Frank
The reikojin are a mystery to most, including themselves. A spirit race whom inhabit suits of armor, no one knows how or where they were originally created, or how they continue to be born. They are a race ignorant of romance, sexuality and any emotional or physical needs save what they need to keep their armor functioning. Conversely, they all seem to be born or created with a near obsession of the idea of the spirit, and they love learning philosophies of all walks, as they try to better understand themselves and other sentient beings.
Physical Description: The reikojin are beings of pure spirit. These spirits are always found animating a suit of armor, for reasons unknown. This armor is often a hodgepodge of different styles and types, rarely do two parts of the reikojin's body seem to be from the same suit of armor. This armor is, for all intents and purposes their physical body and they feel as at home in it as other beings do in their own skins.
Society: The reikojin, a unique group of people with mysterious origins, don't have much of a racial society. Often they are found with a knowledge of the local society and ability to speak at least one local language. They seem to come almost preprogrammed with a personality of their own. On rare occasions, some reikojin will form groups of “family” units or some will band together in an even larger group. These reikojin tend to form quiet societies focused on introspection and education of all forms. Some cities housing these large groups of reikojin will often hold the greatest education centers.
Relations: As foreign and strange creatures sometimes the reikojin are sometimes met with racism, but more often they are accepted as they seem to be able to integrate themselves into everyday life as inquisitive and hardworking laborers. Other Most races tend to accept the reikojin with open arms and are more than willing to help put these multi-skilled creatures to work in whatever area suits them best.
Alignment & Religion: Reikojin follow those gods that reflect themselves best. Many of them feel as chaotic as their armor would seem to indicate. They Some can flit from faith to faith trying to learn as much as they can from each. Others are more stable and can be loyal followers.
Adventurers: Beings of mystery and adventurer, the reikojin love to explore. Both young and old reikojin are found adventuring, though the only way to tell the young from the old is to have them tell you a story, oftentimes the more interesting the story, the older the reikojin. They make great traveling companions and are happy to serve the party in any way they can. A good friends, strong swords, tireless trackers, or masterful mages, the reikojin are a pleasant and strong addition to any adventuring group.
Reikojin (霊甲人) Racial Traits (13 RP)
+2 Constitution: Reikojin are resilient.
Humanoid (reikojin): Reikojin are humanoids with the reikojin subtype.
Medium: Reikojin are Medium creatures and receive no bonuses or penalties due to their size.
Normal Speed: Reikojin have a base speed of 30 feet.
Low-Light Vision (1 RP): Reikojin can see twice as far as humans in conditions of dim light.
Body of Armor (7 RP): Reikojin have the following alterations to a normal humanoid’s natural processes.
· Though not actually constructs, reikojin are souls bound to suits of armor and count as both humanoids and constructs for the purposes of effects targeting creatures by type (such as a ranger's favored enemy and bane weapons).
· Reikojin have a +2 armor bonus to AC, and are always considered to be wearing light armor. Reikojin are automatically proficient with this armor. This armor is masterwork, and can be improved normally with magical armor enhancement bonuses and special abilities.
· Reikojin are immune fatigue, exhaustion, disease, and poison.
· Reikojin do not heal hit points or physical (Strength, Dexterity, and Constitution) ability score damage naturally, but can be repaired with use of the Craft (armor) skill or with effects that repair constructs (such as make whole or rapid repair). A conscious reikojin can repair itself. Reikojin heal mental (Intelligence, Wisdom, Charisma) ability score damage normally (including uses of the Heal skill).
· The Heal skill cannot be used to treat a reikojin. Instead substitute the Craft (armor) skill for any skill check that would usually require the Heal skill (such as first aid).
· Spells from the conjuration (healing) subschool or supernatural abilities that duplicate them are only half as effective on reikojin, rounded down.
· Reikojin always take damage as if they were wearing metal armor when targeted by spells and effects that target metal (such as heat metal or shocking grasp).
· If a reikojin is not returned to life within 1 round after dying (such as with the breath of life spell), she cannot be raised or resurrected with any spell or effect less powerful than true resurrection (unless her soul is stored in a reikojin reliquary; see below).
· Reikojin sleep, but do not breathe or eat, unless they want to gain some beneficial effect from these activities. This means that a reikojin can drink potions to benefit from their effects, but food is not required to survive and stay in good health.
Lifebound (2 RP): Reikojin gain a +2 racial bonus on all saving throws made to resist death effects, saving throws against negative energy effects, Fortitude saves made to remove negative levels, and Constitution checks made to stabilize if reduced to negative hit points.
Strong-Willed (2 RP): Reikojin gain a +2 racial bonus on Will saves.
Languages (1 RP): Reikojin begin play speaking Common. Reikojin with high Intelligence scores can choose any languages they want (except secret languages).
Alternate Reikojin Racial Traits
The following racial traits may be selected instead of existing reikojin racial traits. Consult your GM before selecting any of these new options.
Adamantine Body: Reikojin with this racial trait gain DR 2/adamantine. This damage reduction overlaps but does not stack with other forms of damage reduction. This racial trait replaces strong-willed.
Journeyman: Reikojin with this racial trait gain a +1 bonus on Disable Device and Knowledge (engineering) checks. Members of this race are also treated as proficient with any weapon they have personally crafted. This racial trait replaces lifebound.
Lexicographer: Reikojin with this trait gain a +4 racial bonus onLinguistics checks, and they learn one additional language every time they put a rank in the Linguistics skill. This racial trait replaces strong-willed.
Reflective Armor: Reikojin with this racial trait gain a +2 racial bonus to AC against rays. Once per day, they can deflect a single ray attack targeted at them as if they were using the Deflect Arrows feat. This racial trait replaces lifebound.
Reikojin Racial Rules
The following options are available to reikojin. At the GM's discretion, other appropriate races may also make use of some of these.
New Craft (Armor) Skill Uses
You are skilled at repairing reikojin armor.
Check: The DC and effect of a Craft (armor) check depend on the task you attempt.
Repair reikojin armor
Long-Term Repairs: Providing long-term repairs means treating an injured reikojin for one day or more. If your Craft (armor) check is successful, the reikojin recovers hit points or ability score points lost to ability damage at the following rate: 2 hit points per level for a full 8 hours of repairs in a day, or 4 hit points per level for each full day of repairs; 2 ability score points for a full 8 hours of repairs in a day, or 4 ability score points for each full day of repairs.
Repair Reikojin Armor: Repairing reikojin armor restores 1 hit point per level of the reikojin. If you exceed the DC by 5 or more, add your Intelligence modifier (if positive) to this amount. You must expend one use from an armor repair kit to perform this task. You take a –4 penalty on your Craft (armor) skill check if you lack an armor repair kit.
Action: Providing long term repairs requires 8 hours of light activity. Repairing reikojin armor takes 1 hour of work.
Reikojin have access to the following feat.
Reikojin Armor Mender
You excel at repairing reikojin armor.
Prerequisites: Skill Focus (Craft (armor)), Craft (armor) 5 ranks.
Benefit: When using the repair rekojin armor, the target recovers hit points and ability damage at the following rate: 2 hit points per level of the reikojin; 2 ability score points for each affected ability score.
Reikojin have access to the following equipment.
ARMOR REPAIR KIT
Price 50 gp; Weight 1 lb.
This collection of wrenches and gears provides a +2 circumstance bonus on Craft (armor) checks to repair reikojin. An armor repair kit is exhausted after five uses.
Reikojin Magic Items
Reikojin have access to the following magic item.
Aura moderate necromancy; CL 7th
Slot none; Price 1,500 gp; Weight -–
This item can take the form of any precious gem worth at least 100 gp. If a rekojin dies with this gem on her person, her soul is immediately captured within the reliquary, staving off her passing on to the afterlife. While a reliquary contains a soul, the gem emits soft light, shedding light as a candle. A rekojin soul contained within a reliquary can be used in conjunction with her armor and a raise dead or resurrection spell to restore a reikojin to life. If a rekojin soul contained within a reliquary is not returned to life within 7 days, she passes on to the afterlife.
Requirements Craft Wondrous Item, creator must be a reikojin; Cost 800 gp